About this Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Books, books glorious books!

"Never underestimate an old woman who loves books 
and was born in September".
I love this T-shirt!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has several books on the go at once. It is said you can tell a lot about a person from the books they read. So here's what I'm in the process of reading (or re-reading) at the moment. These are in no special order but the last one is the one I'd take on a desert island if I had to choose from just this list!)
Ground breaking science about ways to look after the cells in our bodies. 
A great integration of science and practical strategies including mindfulness, meditation etc. I'm a great proponent of mind-body-spirit connection and the emerging science around it.

A novel by one of my favourite authors. I've read almost all of the ten in this series and I'm just catching up on one or two I've missed previously.

A memoir by a renowned British brain surgeon. I really enjoy memoirs. I did wonder if, having had brain surgery myself, I might not like reading this! But it was sensitively written and very engaging.

I've read two previous books by this author. (The Grace in Aging and the the Grace in Dying). This one is really about reflecting on one's life and writing a memoir based on the grace you have experienced in key moments. Excellent. Maybe I'll do it!

A well written sweep through themes I'm pretty familiar with from past study.
Lots of very good footnotes for those who want detail. 
I've just started this book. I'll probably skim read!

I'm re-reading this because it is of particular importance to someone I'm talking with. It made a big impact on me when I first read it and it is just as thought-provoking and hope-filled as it was on the first reading. (I've also re-read the sequel Map of Heaven). I thought I'd written about these two books in a previous post but if I did I can't find it!

I think I've read all of Cynthia's previous books and been on several retreats when she has come to NZ. This one is superb for anyone who is a serious practitioner of Centering Prayer. I so appreciate how Cynthia keeps writing about complex issues in a clear, contemporary way. If you've read her first book on Centering Prayer don't think you won't need this one! While it does review the basics it goes a long way further in and deeper down.

*************
I have heartfelt gratitude for being able to read 
and for the people who write books!